Sep 2, 2018

Every Polish I Hauled from August's Polish Pickup

Greetings, y'all! Today I have my haul from the August 2018 edition of Polish Pickup.


For those that don't know what Polish Pickup is, it is like a Facebook custom group and an indie box fused together, only better. Every first weekend of the month, a bunch of nail polish makers craft polish and nail care items around a theme voted on in advance by group members and post them for preorder on the Polish Pickup site. Some items are capped, others not. But you can buy whatever you want as long as the items are up for grabs. There's $3 combined (domestic) shipping too!

This month's theme was on musicals. I'm not a huge fan of theater musicals but I do enjoy Disney movies. August is my birthday month so I was particularly excited to see what came up for sale. I can never buy everything I want (who can?), but I got a good bit on my wish list.





Before I get with the polishes I found this little charm in my bag that I did not remember buying. Then it hit me- I actually "won" it! Every month PPU has a special themed charm that you can buy for two bucks, but if you were one of the first 100 orders you get a free charm with purchase. Never thought I'd be able to do that. Sweet!




The closest I can have these separated from each other. Otherwise they snap together.
First is B Polished Jellicle Queens is a "fiery red-orange multichrome magnetic with color shifting flakes." Inspired by Cats, you could also get this really nifty looking magnet with it. It is incredibly tiny (a wee bigger than a pencil eraser) too. I'll have to make sure I don't lose it. The color itself indeed reminds me of fire. I keep playing around with my bottle both in different light and with the magnet to see how it changes. This will be fun to wear in autumn.



Next up, Ethereal Lacquer's Feed Me, Seymour! This Little Shop of Horrors derived polish is a "deep navy base with multichrome shimmer that shifts between rose, copper and greens, iridescent chameleon flakies, aurora shimmers, and holographic pigments." Another polish I intend to wear this season. I actually almost wore this this weekend, only to go with Colors by Llarowe Twinkle Twinkle Little Star instead.



Moving on, here's Fair Maiden's Come What May, a Moulin Rouge inspired "sultry red linear holo with fiery shifty depths and holo sparkle throughout." I don't wear red often but I do love a good "ruby slipper" polish. It was a one coat wonder when I swatched it. It'll look lovely during the holidays or Valentine's Day.


Our next polish is Jior Couture's We Built This, a "blackened teal-blue-purple multichrome magnetic holo with multichrome flakes." It is inspired by the "Juneteenth: The Musical" episode of Black-ish. It's certainly unique. The magnetic effect is fainter than others I own but it's still present. I want to try this over black.



We're going from black to white with the next polish. KBShimmer's Sandy is a whitish neutral with holo glow flakes and a strong pink to blue shimmer. Grease themed, I'm glad this was offered because I'm a sucker for neutrals with a twist. The shimmer transition is strong and vibrant through the polish.


We've had flakies, we've had magnetics, but we haven't had stamping polishes yet. Moonflower Polish's Enchanted Rose is a stamping polish inspired by Beauty and the Beast. Simply described as a rose holographic, it not only stamps but can double as a regular ol' polish. When I swatched it on a nail stick it covered in one coat. This is my first Moonflower and I'm impressed.


Sayuri Double Feature is themed after The Rocky Horror Picture Show, particularly the costume change the actress for Usherette and Magenta does between scenes. It is a "pink (warm) to plum (cold) thermal with pink shimmers, purple-pink-gold colour shifting flakies and a smattering of gold and magenta holographic microglitters." I love Sayuri but have never tried Anthea's thermals before. I had to recently cut my nails to nubs while moving but I love thermals during the cooler seasons. Insta-French tip FTW!


Here's Supermoon Lacquer's contribution, Sun Do Shine. It's inspired by the Don Bluth movie Rock a Doodle. The lengthy description states that it is a "bright, red leaning-orange based holographic multichrome that shifts in color from an almost 'rust red" to copper to gold and is filled with red-to-green aurora pigment, red-to-yellow and copper-to-green color shifting shimmer, orange and copper shimmer, red sparks, gold holographic microglitter, and silver holographic micro flakies." *whistles* All this melds into a polish the color of the sun at dawn. It was the first polish that I saw the preview and thought "wow! I have to grab this!" I heard that it stamps so I can't wait to try that out.




Finally, I have a scented top coat from Vibrant Vinyls. Tough Cookie is based on a character from Empire and is supposed to smell like snickerdoodle cookies. I love snickerdoodle cookies and the scent of them, and I do get a buttery note to this. I can't really detect any cinnamon. My favorite top coat is from Glisten and Glow but Vibrant Vinyls also offers an awesome quick dry top coat that doesn't smear nail art. It's nice to have the scented option when I want it. I definitely recommend trying them out.

The next Polish Pickup is happening this weekend. It's themed after horror movies. Definitely check it out if you're a horror lover (or check it out if you want pretty polishes)!

No comments:

Post a Comment